- Training base (mileage): B I could have used more mileage. Specifically, I could have built my base over a longer time. In my next 100, I will be shooting for a faster time. A solid year-round endurance base should help with this.
- Crosstraining: B+ The program I used was very successful, but I probably stopped too soon. I stopped crosstraining about four weeks before the race. Next time, I will only taper for two or three weeks.
- Hydration: A Gatorade/water for first third of race; HEED/water for last two thirds of race.
- Electrolytes: A S-caps every hour.
- Heat acclimation: Didn't do... and didn't have problems. The race conditions were cool.
- Chafing prevention: A- Tried SportSlick... reapplied every four-eight miles. It worked like a charm!
- Foot care: B+ Feet were in good shape for the entire race except for some maceration around mid-race. Frequent sock changes, powder, and Sportslick was a winning combination.
- Caloric intake: A- I consumed about 500-550 calories per hour, a little more than planned. I only had one crash for the last two miles. I used a lot of chia with good success.
- Clothing: B+
- Gear: A- I could have used some better organization, but I had everything I needed.
- Lighting: A
- Pacing/ race strategy: A I had four excellent pacers, and my crew did an exceptional job of keeping on my desired pace.
- Drop bags: Did not use
- Mental toughness: B I could have pushed harder over the last two laps, but still did MUCH better than Burning River.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
It has been one week since Hallucination. To help me with training for future races, I'll grade my training/performance on various race details.