This last weekends' festivities proved to be one of the best running-related experiences of my life. Our gathering of 140+ barefoot runners to set a Guinness World Record for the largest barefoot race was a huge success! The feeling of being surrounded by 140+ people either running barefoot or having an interest in barefoot running was amazing.
Despite the near-freezing temperatures coupled with 30mph winds and occasional rain, the Fifth Third Riverbank run was also a success. Between the 5k, 10k, and 25k distances, we had a lot of people wearing minimalist shoes. There weren't many of us running barefoot due to the harsh conditions, but we were still able to do some good PR work.
The post-race gathering atin downtown Grand Rapids was the highlight of the weekend for me. It gave me a chance to talk to several friends from the Runners World Barefoot Forum. I only wish we had more time to talk. It left me for the next !
THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE THAT PARTICIPATED!!!!!
I'll spend the rest of this week sifting through the Guinness information to prepare the packet that will allow Guinness to certify our record. I'll also be in full taper mode for Mind the Ducks this Saturday. After weeks of stress-filled planning, I'm elated to have the opportunity for down-time. I can finally get back to running and writing. Whew!
This will be an exciting year! Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Article in : "Barefoot Running: Is it for me?" May/June 2010 issue Magazine
- Interview on To The Best of Our Knowledge" set to air next Saturday or so "
- Interview with the San Francisco Chronicle set to print May 17th
- The Barefoot Running Book being carried on Amazon.com
- Interview with "Living Barefoot" in the near future
- The next barefoot on June 26th in Chronicle Seaway Run 5k and 15k , MI, with a Ken Bob the same day here in Grand Rapids workshop :
- Great Lakes Relay- About 270 miles across Michigan, my team will likely consist of my mostly-shod trail running friends from the area
- Burning River 100: My first barefoot 100 miler attempt + crew !
- North Country Trail 50 Miler- we should have at least a few barefoot here!
- Woodstock Running Festival